[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt Roadmap

Alberto Bursi bobafetthotmail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 15:34:04 EST 2018

On 12/11/18 21:20, Luiz Angelo Daros de Luca wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are a significant amount of devices out there that has 4/32
> specs. Even brand new ones.
> If there is stability issues with newer OpenWrt versions on those
> devices, we should rethink LEDE EOL.
>
> Maintenance burden is directly related to the amount of software to
> maintain. At the same time, low specs means they might have no
> interest in most packages.
> Maybe 15.05 life could be extend with a lower cost by limiting
> maintenance to a subset of packages (core? even less?). We could
> release LEDE 15.05.(x+1) LTS with feeds configured to use only that
> subset of packages. We could also limit the images to those low spec
> models.
>
> EOL is not really a big deal until it requires a new HW. Routers are
> things that die hard, even after a decade. It just doesn't seem right
> to turn old working hw into electronic waste because of software.
> Keeping old stuff running is even on of the reasons to use OSS.
>
> Regards,

We are talking of embedded hardware, stuff that can be replaced with
future-proof

hardware (4+ years) for 20-30$ in most cases.

I don't think it is worth the manpower required to have any real attempt
at a LTS

(i.e. backporting security fixes).

Afaik all those that matter enough are being placed in a "tiny"
subtarget of their main target where

they are subject to more aggressive stripping to shrink their firmware

so they can still be useful for a while without being too much of a burden.

But I still think that if the hardware falls too much behind, it should
be let EOL in peace.

-Alberto