[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt Roadmap

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 23:17:07 EST 2018

Hello.

I want to make a point about LEDE 17.01 branch.

I have seen in the forums and also testing myself the many people are
running LEDE 17.01 pretty stable and with good performance on older
devices. As we know there are 18.06 builds for some of these devices
as well but that have been reports of slowdowns overtime, instability,
higher latency or cases that was necessary to downgrade. On some
discussions people mentioned that this may be due to two main things:
a) newer kernel footprint b) newer LuCI of 18.06.

Even for some devices with 32MB of RAM and 8MB of flash it was
noticeable that 18.06 wasn't as stable as LEDE 17.01. There are also
successful tiny and stable builds for devices with 32MB of RAM and 4MB
of flash and which would be even harder if not impossible to keep the
bare minimal due to the bigger footprint of 18.06 for these cases. I
fully agree 4MB of flash is out of question for 18.06 and going
forward but there are several success cases for 17.01 tiny and custom
builds. And note that as just mentioned there are cases where even
with 8MB of flash 18.06 has not been an option.

We know that OpenWrt has been responsible for given a lot of extra
life to routers due to its newest features. Just to mention one great
example is full IPv6 support to routers where manufacturers stopped to
develop firmware upgrades.

Given that the point I want to put is to perhaps extend 17.01 life
beyond January 2019, at least to receive security patches.
I would normally agree with its retirement as normal part of OpenWrt
life-cycle but I fell that in this case we have a kind of special
situation where it is worth to keep it alive for a little while until
there is a lot of these usable hardware around.

Best regards
Fernando