[OpenWrt-Devel] regarding procd and manually controlling hardware watchdog

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Mon Mar 19 06:17:38 EDT 2018

Valent Turkovic <valent at otvorenamreza.org> wrote:
> Using internal hardware watchdog would mean that we could
> remove external hardware watchdog that we currently have on
> some customers products. I'm working on embedded products based
> upon OpenWrt and mips hardware that use usb lte modems,
> openvpn, spi flash memory (actually now replaced with onboard
> emmc drive)...
>
> These are very complex devices when compared to "standard"
> embedded devices, and with complexity you get more issues. We
> have software watchdog scripts that try to fix things
> automatically, and last resort is to reboot the device.
>
> Have you even seen that device doesn't reboot after giving it
> reboot command? Well, I have seen it. It is rare, but still it
> happens some times. So if reboot command fails for three times
> in a row then we stop tickling external watchdog which cuts
> power for 1 second.

yes! see https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/747
and
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/12121
and
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/17839#comment:51
and also, for what's likely the same issue...
errata ERR007117 for IMX6DQCE

though, honestly, these are cases where the _watchdog_ is the
problem. You _need_ to do a "nice" reboot, watchdog reboots make
it worse.