[OpenWrt-Devel] How to get OpenWRT to leave kernel .config the f alone?

Daniel Santos daniel.santos at pobox.com
Fri Mar 9 00:24:31 EST 2018

Hello. I'm not very good with make and I need to make many changes to my
kernel .config for debugging. I wrote a patch to add an option to tell
OpenWRT to leave it alone, but I don't understand this build system very
well and it seems to always prevent the kernel .config from being
modified as well as leading to modules & kernel always being rebuilt.
Would somebody be kind enough to fix it for me? :)

I'm new to this project and I'm working with a device that has a crappy
u-boot build installed on it. I need to run a debug kernel, but any time
I attempt to tftp it to the device (directly to RAM) it fails to boot.
If I send the whole damn sysupgrade via lcui then it works. Thus, if I
upload a bad sysupgrade, I can potentially get locked out of the device
until I manually flash the SPI (and I don't know how to do that yet, I
guess some type of jtag?). So rather than just manually building my
kernel and building a sysupgrade by hand, I would rather the build do it
out of caution for messing it up.

Oh yeah, and I'm using CC at this commit:
0625aaa6f37dcf6a2ffb611245fa9b6477642b78 -- of which I have no choice
about. But if anybody can get that to work for the 17.x head, I can
backport it.

Thanks in advance!
Daniel