[OpenWrt-Devel] Disclaimer for user documentation?

Magnus Kroken mkroken at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 10:24:27 EDT 2018

Hi

> My personal approach would be picking one of these, swapping "software"
> with "documentation" and put that in fine print into the wiki footer,
> somewhere next to the license remark.
>
> Having this is yellow warning banner on top of every documentation
> article seems like overkill to me and would like detract users from the
> actual content of the documentation.

I too find this a more reasonable approach. Disclaimers are a
clarification of expectations, they do not necessarily cause an actual
shift in liability, so let's not sacrifice too much usability. Not all
legal rights can be waived by agreement/contract, a disclaimer can
only really disclaim what the surrounding legal systems allow it to
disclaim.

In addition to inserting one of the suggested examples into the
footer, it would probably also be useful to clarify that the wiki (and
project in general) is created by individuals with common interests,
and that not all content is necessarily reviewed or contributors
competency is verified -- something along the lines of what these
paragraphs from Wikipedias About page try to express.

"Wikipedia is an online open-content collaborative encyclopedia; that
is, a voluntary association of individuals and groups working to
develop a common resource of human knowledge. The structure of the
project allows anyone with an Internet connection to alter its
content. Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily
been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you
with complete, accurate or reliable information.

That is not to say that you will not find valuable and accurate
information in Wikipedia; much of the time you will. However,
Wikipedia cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here.
The content of any given article may recently have been changed,
vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond
with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields. Note that most
other encyclopedias and reference works also have disclaimers."

> My 2cents,
> Jo

Regards,
/Magnus