[OpenWrt-Devel] how to add/package kernel module?

Torbjorn Jansson torbjorn.jansson at mbox200.swipnet.se
Mon Jul 30 04:30:47 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-30 08:24, John Crispin wrote:

> On 27/07/18 17:26, Torbjorn Jansson wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Probably over a year ago i built a rasperry pi and made a custom build of
>> openwrt and added a small patch for myself to make module for htu21 temp and
>> humidity sensor available.
>>
>> the patch i made i'm not sure if it is correct or not and even if it still
>> works with all the changes that has been done but it would be nice to have
>> the kernel module (kmod-iio-htu21) built and available as an option
>> preferably in some future release.
>>
>> i use the htu21 kernel module with a small shell script to push the data out
>> to an mqtt server for further handling.
>> there is probably more iio modules that could be useful to others but for now
>> i'm happy if i can make a new version of openwrt with the kernel module added
>> and preferably also get it included so i don't need a custom build.
>>

>> below is my old patch.
>>

> Patch looks ok at first glance, but there are a few formal errors, the
> Signed-off-by is missing and the patch headline needs to be prefixed and a
> proper description needs to be written -> https://openwrt.org/submitting-patches
>
>      John

thanks, i'll take a look there.
and i will try and figure out how to get git sendmail to work, i know i had
problems last time i used it.

i will refresh my patch and also move the module from Other to IIO sub menu
since that's where it belongs.

one more question, in the case of htu21 it depends on another module,
ms_sensors_i2c and as i wrote the patch they both get included in the same package.
right now i don't think any other kernel module package uses ms_sensors_i2c.
is it ok to put both modules in same package or should i make ms_sensors_i2c go
in its own package with a dependency between them?