[OpenWrt-Devel] IPQ8064: Remove GMAC/Ethernet Support

Arjav Parikh parikharjav24 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 03:38:28 EST 2018

Hi Team,

I am working on Qualcomm IPQ8064 SOC for one of my project and I want
to remove the Ethernet and GMAC support from Linux as I am not using
Ethernet PHY in my project.

The purpose for removing the support from kernel is because on random
basis my board gets crash during Linux Boot Up and everytime the crash
point comes when it tries to unload ath_hal driver under NSS GMAC. To
confirm my doubt I checked this image in another board having IPQ8064
with Ethernet PHY and the same image is working.

From make menuconfig it is identified that kernel module for NSS GMAC
is built in. And if i remove it manually from .config file I face
below errors while linux booting on board:

 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_receive (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_is_in_open_state (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_start_data_plane (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_override_data_plane (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_get_netdev_by_macid (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_restore_data_plane (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_receive (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_is_in_open_state (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_start_data_plane (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_override_data_plane (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_get_netdev_by_macid (err 0)
 qca_nss_drv: Unknown symbol nss_gmac_restore_data_plane (err 0)
 qca_nss_gre: Unknown symbol nss_gre_unregister_if (err 0)
 qca_nss_gre: Unknown symbol nss_gre_msg_init (err 0)
 qca_nss_gre: Unknown symbol nss_wifi_get_context (err 0)
 qca_nss_gre: Unknown symbol nss_gre_tx_buf (err 0)

Above errors seem to be because of some dependencies.
Can you please guide me to remove nss-gmac for IPQ8064.

I am using openwrt-build for kernel 4.4.60.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Arjav Parikh