[OpenWrt-Devel] Google Summer of Code 2018 - Ideas

Mattia Aracne mattia at aracne.name
Mon Jan 29 04:12:40 EST 2018

Another idea I'd like to see implemented is the integration of OpenThread
and OpenWeave to enable domotics and smart home appliances.

OpenThread
https://openthread.io/
https://github.com/openthread/openthread

OpenWeave
https://nest.com/weave/
https://github.com/openweave/openweave-core

We could make OpenWrt an OpenThread border router:
https://openthread.io/guides/border_router/build

This is a USB dongle that can be used for testing:
https://github.com/Zolertia/Resources/wiki/Firefly
There's also this project that aims to design a cheap USB OpenThread dongle:
https://github.com/lab11/thread-dongle

Since these technologies are developed by Nest (and Google) and are used in
their smart home products, I believe this is a really nice idea for GSOC.

Thank you
Mattia