[OpenWrt-Devel] How to pre-define the LAN IP

Magnus Kroken mkroken at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:47:26 EST 2018

Hi Bill

On 28.02.2018 15:18, Bill Yuan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed the default LAN IP is still 192.168.1.1 even after I
> configured the "preinit network interface" in "preinit configuration
> options". Can someone please share with me where is the proper way to
> pre-define the LAN IP?

The build system does not include a way to do this. You can do this by
including additional files in your image. To do this, create a directory
"files" in the root of the build directory (same directory you run make
menuconfig from).

You can either include a full network configuration file in the image,
or you can include a script that will execute after the device has
booted, which configures the IP address.

For a full configuration, configure the network as you want it to be,
then copy /etc/config/network from your OpenWrt device to your files/
folder, so it ends up as: files/etc/config/network.

For a script, here is a snippet of how I do this on my devices. You can
omit the if check, I do this so I can use the same script on several
devices.

--8<--
#!/bin/sh

if [ "$(ip link show eth0 | awk '/ether/ {print $2}')" ==
"11:22:33:44:55:66" -a "$(uci -q get network.lan.ipaddr)" == "192.168.1.1" ]
then
         uci -q set network.lan.ipaddr='10.123.234.1'
fi

/etc/init.d/network restart
-->8--

Put this in files/etc/uci-defaults/zz_changeip4.sh. The zz prefix
ensures the file is executed last in the uci-defaults folder, if it
executes too early the base network config may not be in place yet.

> Regards,
> bycn82

Regards
/Magnus