[OpenWrt-Devel] Latest OpenWRT on Gemini v4.14

Felix Fietkau nbd at nbd.name
Wed Feb 28 03:21:53 EST 2018

On 2018-02-27 22:45, Linus Walleij wrote:

>> Someone said he wanted to look into the gemini target as it was still on
>> kernel 4.4 and therefore on the list of targets which are getting removed.
>>
>> Can you please run "make kernel_oldconfig" to remove the unneeded
>> configuration options for the config-4.14 file.
>
> I think it is fairly standard ... I first tried using
> arch/arm/configs/gemini_defconfig from the upstream kernel
> but OpenWRT didn't like/expect that, so I instead took the
> unaltered .config from the build tree, but that is essentially
> what comes out of the gemini_defconfig from upstream.
In OpenWrt, we don't keep full kernel configurations in our target
config-* files. We have a generic config template, and the target config
file is supposed to contain only changes to the generic config template.
Merging and splitting is automated and scripted.
If you run make kernel_oldconfig, it will copy the config to the kernel
build dir, run make oldconfig in the kernel tree, then split the config
again and keep only the target specific bits.

The next step is then to go through the generated file by hand and throw
out any lines that change things relative to the OpenWrt default that
shouldn't really be changed for the target.

This keeps our target config files maintainable and makes it easy for us
to change defaults for all targets as well.

- Felix