[OpenWrt-Devel] Latest OpenWRT on Gemini v4.14

Hans Ulli Kroll ulli.kroll at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:23:23 EST 2018

Hi Hauke

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:

> Hi Linus,
> [adding lede-dev]
>
> Nice work, for this patch and especially for upstreaming the code into
> mainline Linux.
>
> On 02/26/2018 09:28 PM, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a forward-port hack-ish thing for Gemini,
> > this 500K patch on top of openwrt HEAD:
> >
> > https://dflund.se/~triad/krad/gemini/0001-gemini-Forward-port-to-v4.14.patch
> >
> > It's ... big ... and just kills off the old v4.4 kernel support.
>
> Are most of the patches for kernel 4.14 already in mainline or on its
> wait into the mainline kernel?

looking at the diffstat most of the patches are in mainline.
The MAC driver is from upcoming v4.16 kernel.
The only thing is missing is the "fix" for the USB driver.

The controller is a USB2 OTG device and we need (mostly) on gemini only
the hcd part. The udc/gadget driver is also mainline.
The missing part is only the otg device driver to bind this all together,
but this is should be a showstopper for to gemini port on OpenWRT.

And for the otg driver itself, I'm currently orking on this issue ...

> Someone said he wanted to look into the gemini target as it was still on
> kernel 4.4 and therefore on the list of targets which are getting removed.
>
> Can you please run "make kernel_oldconfig" to remove the unneeded
> configuration options for the config-4.14 file.
>
> And the also "make target/linux/{clean,refresh} V=99" to make the
> patches cleanly apply.
>
> > And I can't test it on the Raidsonic aka IcyBox
> > aka NAS4220B which is an important target.

For NAS4220 it's on my to do list ...

> Could someone with devices supported by this target please test this and
> report back if it is working or if there are any regressions.
>

> > But it's something!
> >
> > It generates the image for it, maybe you can try it out
> > and see if it works for you.
> >
> > I think it should be straight forward to apply.
> >
> > It uses the "new style" of build rules, at least a bit, until
> > I got to the custom sysupgrade format etc.
> >
> > The D-Link images are not really complete but the rootfs
> > works.
> >
> > NB: IF YOU'RE GONNA USE THIS, USE GCC 7.3.0 TO
> > BUILD. The 5.5 toolchain doesn't work.
> >
> > Is there a way to require the 7.3.x toolchain?
>
> We want to use the same toolchain for all targets and a GCC bug on mips
> was just fixed 2 days ago in upstream GCC.
> I do not know if we will use gcc 7.X for the next release as this should
> happen soon.

Hans Ulli Kroll