[OpenWrt-Devel] Booting D-Link DNS-313, kernel requirements for OpenWRT?

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Tue Feb 20 17:00:25 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:49 PM, Linus Walleij <linus.walleij at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 5:20 PM, Hans Ulli Kroll
> <ulli.kroll at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Linus Walleij wrote:
>>> >>

>> [...]
>>

>>> So this is libubox returning 4 EINTR (interrupted system
>>> call) from the uloop_process.
>>>
>>> waitpid() returns this while monitoring the process.
>>>
>>> I wonder why...
>>>
>>> I traced into the kernel and even checked that the
>>> binfmt_script parses and tries to execute the script
>>> using the right /bin/sh parser.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to be able to run strace here I guess.
>>> kernel syscall debugging?
>>>

>> I will check this issue my DLINK box and maybe on my IB 4220 if I have
>> time.
>
> I dug around in it and didn't get smarter.
>
> Patched the syscall tracer to print to console (since I
> didn't have a working console that was the best option)
> and what happens is askfirst and other compiled binaries
> work fine but as soon as I try to run any busybox binary
> (such as the shell) it dies with EINTR.
>
> I don't know if busybox is the whole problem, there may be
> something wrong with how it gets compiled or something.

Hey compiling the whole think with GCC 7.3.0 solves the issue!

Old is not always gold... OpenWRT is back online with Gemini.
Just a very custom v4.16-rc1-based kernel :)

VFS: Mounted root (ext4 filesystem) on device 8:4.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 192K
This architecture does not have kernel memory protection.
init: Console is alive
init: - watchdog -
init: - preinit -
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port eth0: connected to PHY "fixed-0:00"
Generic PHY fixed-0:00: attached PHY driver [Generic PHY]
(mii_bus:phy_addr=fixed-0:00, irq=POLL)
phy_id=0x00000000, phy_mode=rgmii
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port: set GMAC0 and GMAC1 to
MII/RGMII mode
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port eth0: connect to RGMII
gmac-gemini 60000000.ethernet: allocate 1024 pages for queue
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port eth0: gmac_enable_irq
device 0 enable
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port eth0: opened
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready
Press the [f] key and hit [enter] to enter failsafe mode
Press the [1], [2], [3] or [4] key and hit [enter] to select the debug level
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port eth0: connect to RGMII @ 1Gbit
IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth0: link becomes ready
mount_root: mounting /dev/root
EXT4-fs (sda4): re-mounted. Opts: (null)
urandom-seed: Seeding with /etc/urandom.seed
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port eth0: gmac_enable_irq
device 0 disable
procd: - early -
procd: - watchdog -
gemini-ethernet-port 60008000.ethernet-port eth0: connect to RGMII @ 1Gbit
procd: - watchdog -
procd: - ubus -
procd: - init -
Please press Enter to activate this console.

BusyBox v1.27.2 () built-in shell (ash)

          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 OpenWrt SNAPSHOT, r6206-97c27f01be99
There is no root password defined on this device!
Use the "passwd" command to set up a new password
in order to prevent unauthorized SSH logins.