[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] stop accepting 4/32M board patches

James Feeney james at nurealm.net
Thu Dec 20 14:46:04 EST 2018

On 12/20/18 8:54 AM, Alberto Bursi wrote:
> My TL-WR1043ND v1.9 (still a ar71xx) is in this category, 8/32 but can't run opkg due to low ram unless I kill luci first.

I believe that this apparent presumption that luci will be installed is inappropriate, especially in the context of a discussion of "low end" devices.  Whether or not luci should be installed "automatically" should be a distinct issue to discuss here.

Personally, because I can ssh into a device, I do not, and would not, use luci, whether or not there are resource constraints.

> So no, the 4/32 warning should stay and remain loud and clear so newbies won't be frustrated by low end devices.

There also seems to be a presumption that a "newbie" is, or should be, running luci.  I believe that that is also an inappropriate assumption.

Using some web interface is not necessarily any easier than using a command line interface.  Just because Apple or Microsoft teach people to use a Graphical User Interface does not mean that LEDE/OpenWRT should be doing the same thing.  "Newbie" is not the same thing as "Dumbed-Down".  Now, if there is no text-terminal-based configuration "helper" for LEDE/OpenWRT, again, that is a distinct issue to discuss here.