[OpenWrt-Devel] Changes in support for Mikrotik RB493G

Rafał Miłecki zajec5 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:03:07 EST 2018

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 at 21:44, W. Michael Petullo <mike at flyn.org> wrote:
> First, it seems that OpenWrt master has dropped YAFFS support. I cannot
> find a clear statement on this, but I also cannot find how to build an
> OpenWrt image that supports YAFFS. Because of this, I rely on an old
> openwrt-ar71xx-nand-vmlinux-initramfs.elf which does contain YAFFS
> support to install a kernel. /dev/mtdblock5 contains the kernel, and
> this device bears a YAFFS filesystem on my Mikrotik RB493G.

There aren't statements / announcements posted of every such decision.
It has been just done in the commit 8ab057f5e415 ("kernel: remove
yaffs2 support, it is no longer needed").

Maintaining yaffs2 required some extra work for years and there wasn't
a real gain from having it. We use JFFS2 for SPI flashes and UBI for
NAND. Both are mainlined and work reliably with almost no maintenance
cost on our side.