[OpenWrt-Devel] Changes in support for Mikrotik RB493G

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Sun Dec 9 15:44:22 EST 2018

Changes in the last year or so have left me a little confused with the
OpenWrt support for the Mikrotik RB493G. I generally compile my kernels
and root disk images myself, namely by running "make menuconfig" and
"make" in an OpenWrt source tree. I then go on to install the built
artifacts by booting my router using TFTP and so on.

First, it seems that OpenWrt master has dropped YAFFS support. I cannot
find a clear statement on this, but I also cannot find how to build an
OpenWrt image that supports YAFFS. Because of this, I rely on an old
openwrt-ar71xx-nand-vmlinux-initramfs.elf which does contain YAFFS
support to install a kernel. /dev/mtdblock5 contains the kernel, and
this device bears a YAFFS filesystem on my Mikrotik RB493G.

How am I to install a kernel after booting a current
openwrt-ar71xx-nand-vmlinux-initramfs.elf when there is no YAFFS support?

Second, things are configured to use UBIFS for the root filesystem. I
have figured out how to set this up, but it seems rather involved:

1. Extract openwrt-ar71xx-mikrotik-device-nand-64m-rootfs.tar.gz on my
build host, and use mkfs.ubifs on my build host to produce an UBIFS from
its contents.

2. On the router, run ubinize, ubidetach, and ubiformat to install the
UBIFS on /dev/mtd6.

I suppose I am surprised that the OpenWrt build process does not build
an UBIFS image as it does with tar.gz, ext4, and squashfs images. Am I
missing something?

--
Mike

:wq