[OpenWrt-Devel] ar71xx Vs ath79 -- sysupgrade

David Bauer mail at david-bauer.net
Mon Dec 3 18:32:35 EST 2018

Hello Henrique,

On 03.12.18 19:04, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Is there a viable way to "sysupgrade" from ar71xx to ath79?
>
> Even if it would require a model-by-model "update map" for the
> lower-level stuff (LEDs, switch ports?, etc), that would be valuable.
> Otherwise, it will be difficult for people with fleets of ar71xx devices
> to remotely switch them to ath79...

We've looked into this issue a few weeks ago. We have a lot of wireless
mesh communities in Germany using thousands of ar71xx devices, so this
is something we need.

First things first - sysupgrade is possible (be it with -F option).

The wmac path however changed, it has to be adjusted from "qca95xx_wmac"
to "platform/ahb/ahb:apb/18100000.wmac".

Another aspect was the LED configuration, as LED naming is very
inconsistent and often differs from ar71xx. Some LEDs are now not
included in UCI configuration.

So you either need to delete (and recreate) them ore just dump your
'/etc/config/system' and recreate it using "config_generate".

I expect ethernet and switch configuration to be consistent between
ar71xx and ath79, but exceptions may apply.

Tested this migration strategy across some devices and it worked flawlessly.

For anyone interested, there is a downstream issue at the Gluon project
regarding this topic. [1]

[1] https://github.com/freifunk-gluon/gluon/issues/1570

Best wishes
David