[OpenWrt-Devel] Is "using gpio to simulate I2C bus" robust on AR9331?

Hartmut Knaack knaack.h at gmx.de
Thu May 4 17:57:32 EDT 2017

Gareth Parker schrieb am 04.05.2017 um 23:33:
> OpenWrt seems dead these days, active development is over at lede-project.

True, but the question was not development-related.

> Also for i2c I would recommend using a PIC microcontroller, its far easier and designed for that purpose.  I use a PIC to control PLL IC's over i2c such as the TSA5511 in FM broadcast gear I design.

And how do you connect to the PIC? First thing that would come to my mind would
be via rs232, but many OpenWrt devices provide just one such interface, and that
is already occupied for debugging messages and console login. Connecting via USB
doesn't look overly practical - I've used the I2C-Tiny USB and had lots of
troubles, caused by sudden USB disconnects and resets.
And any solution, where the kernel won't control the I2C bus, will prevent you from
using the massive amount of device drivers included in OpenWrt/LEDE or the Linux
kernel.