[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt and Open Compute Project (OCP)

Abylay Ospan aospan at jokersys.com
Tue May 2 11:21:42 EDT 2017

Hello All,

I'm working on Facebook's Open Compute CBW (Campus, Branch, and
Wireless) project [1]. OCP CBW mission is:
"Closed wireless and branch networking equipment have served well in the past
but now is the time to democratize wireless networking to make it programmable,
faster, easier, and less expensive for customers and give everyone the
power of choice like never before"

We have made some research and choose OpenWrt as base system (thanks
for OpenWrt advantages :).

Hardware options is:
3 Broadcom based designs (802.11 AC Wave 1)    [2]
2 Qualcomm based designs (802.11 AC WAVE 2)
More planned by other H/W ODMs in 2017/18

All devices is open hardware in some terms.

I have started github repo for adopting OpenWrt to this hardware:
https://github.com/aospan/openwrt/commits/ocp

Currently main AP I'm working on is EdgeCore ECW7220-L [2]. CPU, RAM,
Flash, Ethernet is supported now. There is also two wifi pci-e
adapters:
01:00.0 Class 0280: 14e4:43a2
01:00.0 Class 0280: 14e4:4331

"14e4:4331" is supported by b43 driver in 2.4GHz only mode (this is ok).
Second adapter "14e4:43a2" doesn't supported by brcmsmac (this adapter
is soft-mac). Now I'm trying to make this adapter working with
brcmsmac.
Also, there is plans to adopt/create solution for modern Software
Defined Network model based on OpenWRT. All projects will be Open
Source.
We are open for new participants. If you are interested please drop me
a message or send reply to ML for public discussion.
And happily we have possibilities to rise some funds to make some tasks payable.

Links:
 [1] http://www.opencompute.org/wiki/Networking/CBWCampus2cBranch2CAndWireless
 [2] http://www.edge-core.com/productsInfo.php?cls=3&cls2=19&cls3=24&id=112

--