[OpenWrt-Devel] Bug in ipkg?

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Jan 2 23:32:10 EST 2017

I just saw something bizarre.

I had a Perl module (CGI v4.35) which contained the following:

my $appease_cpants_kwalitee = q/
use strict;
use warnings;
#/;

which is just a quoted string containing the lines that some sanity checking code expects to see (albeit as actual code, and not embedded as a string constant).

That was in the original source.

Getting into build_dir/target-xxx/perl/CGI-4.35/ and looking at ipkg-install/usr/lib/perl5/5.22/CGI.pm it’s identical to what’s in the tarball.

However, looking at ipkg-x86_64/perl-cgi/usr/lib/perl5/5.22/CGI.pm I see that every line starting with /^#/ has been deleted.  WTH???

Interestingly, lines beginning with /^[ \t]+#/ are untouched.

Is ipkg doing something evil like stripping lines that it (apparently incorrectly) thinks are comments to save space?  And if so, why????

How do I disable this?

Thanks,

-Philip