[OpenWrt-Devel] [openwrt-devel] [linux-wireless] 802.11s mesh network can not recover after connectivity goes low and back up

Xuebing Wang xbing6 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 01:55:37 EST 2017

Hi Community,

I am using several routers (Atheros AR9331 + OpenWRT) to build a 802.11s
mesh network. I am having an issue.
-  Linux kernel: 3.18.29
-  OpenWRT version / branch: chaos_calmer
-  Hardware platform: AR9331 with ath9k driver.

Description of the issue:
-  When connectivity of a mesh node is low and connection to other nodes
is lost. After connectivity is back up again, ping other nodes won't get
this node to recover to connect to its peers.
-  Test setup: most routers are in one room, with one specific router in
another room to simulate low connectivity.
-  I use 'iw wlan0 set txpower limit 0' to simulate low connectivity.
-  It's not easy to reproduce, occurrence rate is low.
-  I sometimes put a laptop to the isolated router and "ssh into this
laptop" to generate some WiFi traffic (possible collisions).

Does anyone see the similar issue? Thanks.

xuebing wang