[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] Makefile question

Yousong Zhou yszhou4tech at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 21:09:31 EST 2017

On 15 February 2017 at 06:33, Philip Prindeville
<philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:

[...]

>>> Part of the problem is making package/Makefile recurse with additional arguments and a different working directory…  When I try to do this, the submake of package/Makefile gets run without inherited variables like $(INCLUDE_DIR), etc.
>>
>> package/Makefile was included by $(TOPDIR)/Makefile which included
>> $(TOPDIR)/rules.mk first and that's where was INCLUDE_DIR defined but
>> not exported.
>

> Okay, so just add “export INCLUDE_DIR” and I’m done?

It should work, but if there are other ways around, imho, minimal
usage of global export is preferred to avoid cluttering the
environment.

[...]

>> The other thing is if it's just about pre/post hooks, then I guess the
>> Build/IncludeOverlay mechanism should already fulfil most (if not all)
>> of your needs.
>>
>>                yousong
>

> Well, I need to get things working with OpenWRT and then move the entire product over to LEDE.

That Build/IncludeOverlay is also available in OpenWrt as it was there
since 2009-08-31

> Are you on IRC?

most of the time, no.  I got the impression that I needed to check it
fairly frequently to not miss a call...  It's a distraction I'd like
to avoid ;)

                yousong