[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE Project Forum] [Installing and Using LEDE] New Ubiquiti LOCO M2 XW

Bill Moffitt bmoffitt at ayrstone.com
Fri Aug 25 00:55:58 EDT 2017

Fellow developers-

I wanted to follow up on this topic, as it pertains to anyone
considering using OpenWRT/LEDE on Ubiquiti wireless gear (I can't speak
to the EdgeRouter, etc. devices).

I have been speaking with one of the executives at Ubiquiti, and he
disclosed that they have been feeling pressured by the FCC to deal with
the perceived issue of firmware being able to alter the RF
characteristics of the hardware, particularly in the 5 GHz. band. He
pointed to this note from the FCC as evidence:
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2339685/fcc-software-security-requirements.pdf

This is an interesting document - I really don't understand what legal
standing it has - wasn't this the proposal that set us all to the web
last year to try to make the FCC be sensible? In its First Review and
Order of July 13
(https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-17-93A1.pdf) the FCC
specifically mention in the footnotes that they are NOT addressing
"...provisions to prevent the unauthorized modification of the software
and firmware that ensure that and RF device complies with FCC rules that
prevent harmful interference..."

So it appears, at this point, that the FCC's position is that the
replacement of firmware on devices is perfectly legal, but, to have a
U-NII (5 GHz) device authorized in the U.S., it must have its firmware
locked so it cannot be modified.

Whatever the legality is, the folks at Ubiquiti have made the decision
to lock the bootloader on all their models so that firmware that is not
specifically "signed" by Ubiquiti cannot be flashed on to their
products. Models with locked bootloaders are just being introduced now -
my last batch of Loco M2 units (note that these are 2.4 GHz. radios)
were very odd: on units running AirOS 5.6.12 (as they shipped) I could
load LEDE via the Web UI, but I could not load it using tftp. I updated
some units to AirOS 6.0.6 and could not load LEDE at all via any method.
Even connecting to the serial port did not help - the console stops when
the firmware starts booting.

The bottom line is this: effective in the very near future, we will not
be able to load OpenWRT/LEDE on to Ubiquiti wireless gear, unless I'm
missing something here.

And we should expect every vendor to follow suit.

This represents an interesting problem for getting commercial vendors to
adopt and support OpenWRT/LEDE - if Ubiquiti is interpreting the FCC's
notes correctly, any company that wants to use OpenWRT/LEDE will have to
sign the images so they cannot be modified. This seems to contradict the
real value of OpenWRT/LEDE - and how would that even work with opkg, etc?).

I wanted to report what I have found to this group and see if anyone has
any brilliant ideas. I haven't any at the moment.

Thanks,

Bill