[OpenWrt-Devel] Proposal of the creation of a virtual machine in order to have a standard compilation environment and avoid compilation issues

Federico Di Marco fededim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 06:54:22 EDT 2016

Hi to everybody,

I am experiencing another compilation problem of Openwrt just after having
downloaded sources today and I followed all the steps contained in
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build. The error happens at the
beginning during the compilation of pkg-config tool of the toolchain:

gconvert.c:55:2: error: #error GNU libiconv not in use but included iconv.h
is from libiconv

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and it seems that I am not the only one person who
experiences this kind of problem which moreover seems to be existing for
almost three years (see at http://www.lellansin.com/openwrt
-%E7%BC%96%E8%AF%91-error-gnu-libiconv-not-in-use-but-included-iconv
-h-is-from-libiconv.html).

I am not a linux expert (I only manage some packages), but whatever the
problem is (probably Ubuntu os or my particular configuration) it's very
frustrating to experience compilation issues which takes most of the time
for a person like me who only updates packages (sometimes you have to "dig"
for a lot of time on internet).

So in order to solve any compilation problem I am proposing that a virtual
machine pre-configured for Openwrt compilation will be created, maybe
someone can virtualize Openwrt build host in some ways (and change
obliviously any unnecessary data). In this way anyone willing to contribute
to OpenWRT can use it for development and avoid "disheartening" compilation
issues.

Does anybody think that this could be is a viable option sometime in the
future ?

Federico