[OpenWrt-Devel] ath10k mesh + ap + encryption?

Valo, Kalle kvalo at qca.qualcomm.com
Tue Sep 13 06:59:31 EDT 2016

Simon Wunderlich <sw at simonwunderlich.de> writes:

> we have done some experiments last week on ath10k, trying to run mesh
> (802.11s) and access point at the same time, both encrypted.
>
> We have tested a recent LEDE (reboot-1519-g42f559e) but with
> firmware-5.bin_10.2.4.70.42-2 and the included wpa_supplicant, which gave us a
> working encrypted 802.11s network. However, starting an AP at the same time
> didn't work (AP doesn't beacon). This wasn't a problem when 802.11s was
> running unencrypted.
>
> We also tested version 10.2.4.97 (from codeaurora), which is now default in
> LEDE. However, this version apparently doesn't support 11s mesh at all
> (WMI_SERVICE_MESH_11S is disabled in the service map, but cfg/mac80211
> advertises support).
>
> So here are my questions:
>
>  * Did anyone succesfully run AP and mesh, both encrypted at the same time?
>  * Do you have any pointers how we could fix this? Could it be fixable in the
> driver (i.e. not in firmware)?
>  * Does anyone have an idea if 11s will be supported in future versions? I
> didn't find any changelogs, but having 11s mode no longer in the service map
> does not make me optimistic.

Why is LEDE using 10.2.4.97? It seems to be a quite old release and I
have no knowledge if anyone even tests that firmware branch with ath10k.
I recommend to only use firmware releases from ath10k-firmware.git as we
use those internally with ath10k. In any case, don't make any
assumptions about future from that firmware branch as it's so old.

--
Kalle Valo