[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] Project proposal: The GNUnet of autonomous Things

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Wed Nov 23 08:10:14 EST 2016

Hi Hauke,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 01:30:37PM +0100, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> This sounds interesting.
>
> I have some questions regarding phase 1.
>
> 1. Do you want to have an API to switch for example a smart plug on and
> off and an other call to get the temperature from a temperature sensor?

I want to have a service sitting on ubus for both, low-bandwidth read
and write operations (ie. sensors and actors)

> 2. Should this more focus on local IoT sensors line a temperature sensor
> connected via I2C or more on remote sensors like a smart plug connected
> via ZigBee?

I think both would be cool. I'd start with local stuff (I2C, GPIO) as
that's what I got most experience with. However, the plugin API should
allow to write bindings for

> 3. What would be the difference to for example IoTvity, openHAB and
> other existing solutions?

It's going to be vendor-neutral, tiny and integrates well with other
stuff we already got on OpenWrt/LEDE (ie. it uses libubox, ubus, ...).
I'm going to write the service in C and expect the core to be only a
few dozens kilobytes in (binary) size.

> It would also be nice to have better 6LoWPAN integration in LEDE /
> OpenWrt to make it easy to configure 6LoWPAN on top of ZigBee or BLE and
> then route the IP traffic to the local network or the Internet like a
> normal network interface in LEDE. This is probably unrelated to your
> proposal.

I'm not really the biggest friend of the idea to have every
microcontroller exposed on the IPv6 ARPA internet, however, if well
firewalled and isolated from the rest of the world, it could still be
more interoperable to have IP rather than using media-specific sockets
for the hub and devices to communicate.

Cheers

Daniel