[OpenWrt-Devel] [LEDE-DEV] TR-069 for OpenWrt

Delbar Jos Jos.Delbar at technicolor.com
Mon May 30 06:21:33 EDT 2016

Hauke Mehrtens <hauke at hauke-m.de> wrote:
> On 05/27/2016 01:43 AM, Delbar Jos wrote:
> > At Technicolor we have followed with great interest the recent proposals
> to enhance OpenWrt with an open source solution for TR-069 remote
> management. As one of the world's largest vendors of modems and routers
> for carrier applications, making use of OpenWrt in a significant share of our
> install base, we want to support this initiative in a meaningful way.
> Concretely, we are willing to open source Technicolor's in-house TR-069
> solution and thereby contribute to OpenWrt:
> >  * a TR-069 protocol agent,
> >  * a data model mapping framework that we use to bridge the world of
> > OpenWrt, UCI, UBUS ... with the world of TR-069, TR-098, TR-181 ...
> > (and by extension with the world of SNMP, MIB, NETCONF, YANG ...),
> >  * a set of mappings.
>
> That is really nice to hear. For me personally it looks like the remote
> management with TR-069 and similar protocols is one of the biggest
> extensions commercial vendors add to the user space of OpenWrt to make it
> fit their needs.
>
> In addition to the TR-* family does this also include support for SNMP, MIB,
> NETCONF, YANG ?

Our proposal does not include protocol agents for SNMP or NETCONF but it does include a data model mapping framework that can be used to bridge between these protocols' data models MIB and YANG and an OpenWrt environment. If you compare this framework with the slides shown by Felix at the prpl weekly then it's an implementation of the "configuration backend", or if you compare it with the architecture of a NETCONF project like https://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/howto/opencpe then it's an implementation of "mand". (We aren't using mand.)

> That's good to hear, would it also be possible that other interested people
> can join such a workshop?

The answer is yes as far as I'm concerned.

Jos