[OpenWrt-Devel] [PROPOSAL] move OpenWrt codebase to Git and GitHub

Eric Schultz eschultz at prplfoundation.org
Tue May 24 11:51:46 EDT 2016

I think this is a great idea! I very much support a move to Github; despite
it's issues, it's just where development is happening today. Keeping a
non-Github channel for submitting patches is also a great idea I think.

My free-software side worries about using something non-free like drone.io
for CI but this is a huge task certainly and I'm not sure a free tool would
meet everyone's needs (plus there's the huge added burden of maintenance).

Eric

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Luka Perkov <luka at openwrt.org> wrote:

> Dear OpenWrt mailing list readers,
>
> as the subject says I'd like to make proposal to move the OpenWrt
> codebase to Git. This was already discussed before [1] and now when
> there are no blockers [2] for this change I'd like that we as a
> community move forward with this switch.
>
> Also, I'd like to propose that we move the project to GitHub and here
> are the reasons why I see this as a good decision:
>
> * GitHub will allow people to contribute more easily
>
> The bigger amount of contributions has already happened and can be seen
> on the packages feed which is already hosted on GitHub. With this I'm
> also hoping to avoid comments regarding invalid patches on the mailing
> list.
>
> For now I am proposing that the current development workflow is also
> accepted - aka. patches that are sent to the mailing list are also
> accepted.
>
> * GitHub and similar services will allow us to integrate more easily
> with other projects
>
> Here specifically I mean integration with modern CI. Here is an example
> of integration with drone.io [3][4]. At the moment this is only in the
> POC stage but what I'd like to do down the line is to:
>
>  - build OpenWrt images for all architectures for every pull request
>
>  - build OpenWrt package binary for every package pull request for all
> architectures and make it available for download
>
>  - build and host OpenWrt qemu and/or Docker image for every pull request
>
> This will allow easy review of the work since flags will be shown in the
> pull request if the build was sucessful or not. Also, this will allow
> people to test changes without building the image and thus lowering the
> time that needs to be spent on maintenance work.
>
> If this proposal gets accepted I'll be sending out an email to get
> access to more build servers so this new build infrastructure can
> properly support the project in a timely fashion.
>
> Please share your thoughts regarding this proposal.
>
> Regards,
> Luka
>
> [1]
> https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-October/036390.html
> [2] https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2016-May/041329.html
> [3] https://github.com/makkrnic/openwrt-qemu-x86
> [4] http://sartura-drone.makkrnic.com/makkrnic/openwrt-qemu-x86/5

Eric Schultz, Community Manager, prpl Foundation
http://www.prplfoundation.org
eschultz at prplfoundation.org
cell: 920-539-0404
skype: ericschultzwi