[OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing the LEDE project

mbm mbm at openwrt.org
Wed May 4 16:01:05 EDT 2016

Dear OpenWrt community,

It is with a great amount of surprise that, like all of you, we read
about the announcement of the LEDE project yesterday, as there was no
prior announcement nor clues this would happen.

While we recognize the current OpenWrt project suffers from a number of
issues outlined by Jo-Philip, in each of the 5 bullet points, we do not
agree with the conclusions withdrawn, and even less so in deciding to
spin off the OpenWrt project in the first place as a way to fix the
project and its community. Also, the phrases such as a "reboot" are both
vague and misleading and the LEDE project failed to identify its true
nature. The LEDE announcement  contains a number of very valid points
which we hoped we had an opportunity to discuss and attempt to fix, in a
public manner, before this more radical outcome. At this point, the
email as well as actions taken are very confusing to a lot of us.

OpenWrt is primarily developed by individuals who may have a day job
more or less related to the purpose or the technologies of the project,
but who strive to maintain OpenWrt as independent as possible  from any
company, organization or interest group, thus maintaining its own
infrastructure (website, forums, mailing-lists, bugtracker...), which
has been usually at the heart of all debates.

We do acknowledge there has been internal disagreements, on several
occasions about some directions of the project, about the release model,
the lack of testing, the centralized infrastructure, however, there have
been actual work going on under the hoods to solve things one step at a
time, starting with a more decentralized infrastructure, which was
discussed with the LEDE developers as well.

At this point, we do not have much to offer to the LEDE developers but
to encourage them to publicly discuss on
openwrt-devel at lists.openwrt.org the different items we should all be
fixing together, and avoid spinning off so that all decisions can be
taken with the community's involvement, and accountability and
transparency can rule us as one community.

As a user, developer, contributor, or just community member, whatever
choice you make, keep the choice that matters to you: the ability to
utilize superior quality open source software to power whatever embedded
device that matters to you!

We would like to stress that we do want to have an open discussion and
resolve matters at hand. Our goal is to work with all parties who can
and want to contribute to OpenWrt, including the LEDE team.

Sincerely,
Your OpenWrt team