[OpenWrt-Devel] Introducing the LEDE project

Kathy Giori kathy.giori at gmail.com
Wed May 4 12:25:51 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Jo-Philipp Wich <jow at openwrt.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we'd like to introduce LEDE, a reboot of the OpenWrt community
> .
>
> The project is founded as a spin-off of the OpenWrt project and shares
> many of the same goals.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm, I do not see why you cannot apply
these same "principles" of openness and transparency to the OpenWrt
project. Makes no sense to me to branch the project. That simply
divides the resources in the community into fewer numbers working on
each fork.

Also wearing my hat within the prpl Foundation, which is funded by
industry sponsorships that in turn provides financial support for
OpenWrt, no one I have spoken to in prpl understands the reason for
this spin-off either. It'll cause more confusion and inefficiency in
industry. prpl will stick with OpenWrt, and I expect most companies
who follow and/or contribute to OpenWrt will stick with it too.

kathy