[OpenWrt-Devel] [RFC] fstools/overlayfs race condition

Roman Yeryomin leroi.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:03:10 EST 2016

There is a race between `cp -a /tmp/root/* /rom/overlay` from
libfstools/overlay.c and a process creating new file(s) before
pivot(/rom, /mnt) occured.
That is a process can create a file and it will not be copied.

Currently I do additional copy after jffs2 is ready, which is kind of
cumbersome (see attached patch), but there are still few potentially
erroneous scenarios:
1. a process may recreate the file by the time second cp occurs
2. a process may delete a file (not existing at that moment) and
second cp will copy it again
3. a process may want to read created file before second cp occurs

If attached patch is the way to go I will properly submit it.
Otherwise there should be a more fundamental fix but I don't see a way
to fix this properly.

Regards,
Roman