[OpenWrt-Devel] automatic TFTP flash for Netgear WGT634U

Dan Lenski dlenski at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 19:24:19 EDT 2016

Hi all,
I got my old wgt634u to successfully boot OpenWrt 15.05 with
the help of a serial cable and some experimentation.

The wiki/toh page for this device mention that it does not
automatically try to flash an image from TFTP when it boots.

I wondered why this is, actually.

Although the *default* configuration of the WGT634U does not try a
TFTP flash, it is definitely possible to configure it for automatic
TFTP flash from the serial console. In the CFE bootloader I ran this:

  CFE> setenv -p STARTUP 'ifconfig eth0 -addr=192.168.1.250 \
        -mask=255.255.255.0; \
        flash -noheader 192.168.1.1:wgt634u.bin.0 flash0.os; \
        flash -noheader -offset=2000000 192.168.1.1:wgt634u.bin.1 \
        flash0.os; boot -elf flash0.os:'

This does not appear to have any ill effects on normal operation. If
there's a TFTP server listening when it boots, it flashes the image,
in 2 pieces of 2 MB each to avoid errors.

If there's no TFTP server listening, it waits a few seconds, times
out, and then boots normally.

Is there any reason I shouldn't add this to the wiki? It helps to make
the wgt634u more like other devices in its TFTP-booting behavior.

Thanks,
Dan