[OpenWrt-Devel] OpenWrt main tree moves to GitHub

Luka Perkov luka at openwrt.org
Sat Jun 25 07:42:30 EDT 2016

Dear OpenWrt developers and users,

As announced previously, we have moved the OpenWrt codebase  to GitHub [1].
Since OpenWrt used SVN before and had a Git mirror hosted, we have
decided to reuse OpenWrt Git mirror tree already hosted on GitHub. That
said, the following points are relevant to the switch:

* Developers can send pull requests for this repository - this is an
  addition over the earlier patchwork-based workflow.

* For patches that need further discussion, the openwrt-devel list is
  still open, the patchwork site is still open.

* We are going through the current patchwork tickets [2] and pull them
  in if possible.

* buildbots will be pointed to the new code source early next week.

* To file bug tickets, the current trac site (https://dev.openwrt.org)
  is still the preferred way of opening the tickets.

* We will update the documentation on the official OpenWrt sites.

Additionally, we have created a CI feature, tightly integrated with the
new GitHub tree - this will enable developers to have a better view into
the commits. For now this integration is only for the defconfig
settings, kicking off a new build with any new pull request. Further
documentation of this feature can be found here [3].

Furthermore, we are planning to have releases every 6 months preferably
with LTS or LTSI kernel, starting in August.

Let us know your thoughts, feedback and comments are welcome.

Thanks,
The OpenWrt team

[1] https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt
[2] http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openwrt/list/