[OpenWrt-Devel] Response to LEDE proposal/queries/mail?

Zoltan HERPAI wigyori at uid0.hu
Tue Jun 7 08:42:36 EDT 2016

Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a few emails on this topic I thought better of sending, but I'm
> sure I'm not the only one wondering why the remaining OpenWrt devs have
> not responded to the various LEDE overtures on this mailing list.  Is it
> lack of time, an unwillingness to attempt to have an honest and
> reasonable dialogue in public, or something else?  I admit that for all
> the furor over the fork, and complaints about LEDE lack of transparency
> in the fork, I'm seeing a lot more communication from LEDE than from the
> remaining devs, and am left to guess the reasons why (although with my
> mechanism to help me avoid bad emails, I don't give voice to my tendency
> to the less than generous suspicions, now).

Hi Daniel,

May I ask you to point to which e-mail are you referring to? We are yet
to see an official line from LEDE on what they want to see to happen in
OpenWrt (setting aside the FUD some LEDE members have shown on the
list). The IRC discussion did not happen due to being unable to work out
the timezone differences, the conversation on the mailing list did not
move forward - this is obviously an issue on our side as well.

The official line - which I should have sent out a few days ago - from
the OpenWrt team is:
----

Felix's initial comment was LEDE to become a "development environment"
for new ideas, and to keep OpenWrt as the standard distro. We have
stayed away from committing to OpenWrt trunk to keep a clean sheet
according to this, to let LEDE members cleanly and easily merge their
changes. (Apologies to all contributors for not pushing their patches so
far). Luka - as no objections but only praises were received - plans to
do the proposed github move later this week, which will help with the
workflow for contributors.

What we would like is to:
- Ask the LEDE members currently maintaining targets to update their
targets,
- Ask the LEDE members to tell us about terms and wishes for reunite.
Currently there is no official word from LEDE on this, which is quite
confusing.

We will start merging the pending patches in patchwork this week to get
trunk back into a healthy state while discussions are underway. LEDE
patches will also be brought in where appropriate.

Regards,
The OpenWrt team