[OpenWrt-Devel] Permissions on /dev/urandom

W. Michael Petullo mike at flyn.org
Sat Jul 30 17:13:01 EDT 2016

On my OpenWrt 15.05.1 installation, /dev/urandom has the following
permissions:

	crw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 9 Jul 13 02:09 /dev/urandom

On a computer with a more traditional Linux distribution, I found:

	crw-rw-rw-. 1 root root 1, 9 Jul 30 16:46 /dev/urandom

This lack of write permissions on /dev/urandom causes at least prosody to
fail when not running as root. See also:

	https://prosody.im/issues/issue/585

Should we rethink the permissions on the random device nodes?

--
Mike

:wq