[OpenWrt-Devel] DD: CONFIG_BUSYBOX_DEFAULT_WGET is not set

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Fri Jan 22 10:18:44 EST 2016

On 2016-01-22 14:21, John Clark wrote:
>>> yes, is was dropped with r48386 + 48379
>>> so it *should* be automatically work with wget -> uclient-fetch
>
> I have updated to the latest trunk commit where I see your /usr/bin/wget
> -> /bin/wget patch.  I have updated the feeds and symlinks to the latest
> and greatest.  The packages are currently not configured to build
> uclient-fetch by default, so I manually selected it.
>
> My resulting build now has a 112,453 byte /bin/uclient-fetch binary and
> I can confirm wget does work.  I guess the only thing left to do is to
> have the uclient-fetch binary build by default.
Did you use any weird build options? Here's the size from my own build
(ar71xx):
nbd at nf > ls -la bin/uclient-fetch usr/lib/libuclient.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 nbd  staff  12344 Jan 21 15:39 bin/uclient-fetch
-rw-r--r--  1 nbd  staff  16684 Jan 21 15:39 usr/lib/libuclient.so

> Question: The busybox binary (for me) goes from 366,401 bytes to 300,327
> with the removal of wget from it.  Therefore, the uclient-fetch binary
> swapout causes a 46,379 byte increase in size. I assume the desire to
> move to uclient-fetch from busybox is for the SSL support?  If so, it
> still does not support SSL without also building ustream-ssl.
ustream-ssl already ships with standard LuCI enabled builds.
Also, you can choose which TLS provider you want to use.
The way it's implemented right now, enabling SSL also does not require
recompiling uclient-fetch - it detects at run time whether SSL support
is availble.

- Felix