[OpenWrt-Devel] Atomic/failsafe upgrades?

Eric Schultz eschultz at prplfoundation.org
Thu Jan 7 13:48:50 EST 2016

Joshua,

I've had some similar interest in this topic.  As far as I know, there
isn't anything like this on OpenWrt. There might be some overlap with the
discussion of automatic updates from last week as well.

Eric

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Joshua Judson Rosen <jrosen at harvestai.com>
wrote:

> I'm trying to decide on a Linux-based OS to use in a project,
> and one of the features that I want is failsafe upgrades--
> such that failing to run an upgrade procedure to completion
> should be non-catastrophic, and automatically recoverable; the
> system should always be able to (re)boot into a state
> where it can run normally, either in the upgraded state
> or in the pre-upgrade state.
>
> One option that I've deal with is to keep two parallel
> system installs, upgrade whichever one you're not currently using,
> try to boot _that one_ after the upgrade finishes,
> and fall back to the last-known-good install
> if either the upgrade fails in the middle or the boot into
> the preferred install fails. IIRC, there's something like this
> available with Yocto; and, if I understand it correctly,
> NixOS also does something similar in spirit to this
> (though perhaps with a different granularity).
>
> Are there any provisions for doing something like that
> with OpenWRT?
>
> --
> "Don't be afraid to ask (λf.((λx.xx) (λr.f(rr))))."

Eric Schultz, Community Manager, prpl Foundation
http://www.prplfoundation.org
eschultz at prplfoundation.org
cell: 920-539-0404
skype: ericschultzwi