[OpenWrt-Devel] Atomic/failsafe upgrades?

Joshua Judson Rosen jrosen at harvestai.com
Thu Jan 7 12:44:54 EST 2016

I'm trying to decide on a Linux-based OS to use in a project,
and one of the features that I want is failsafe upgrades--
such that failing to run an upgrade procedure to completion
should be non-catastrophic, and automatically recoverable; the
system should always be able to (re)boot into a state
where it can run normally, either in the upgraded state
or in the pre-upgrade state.

One option that I've deal with is to keep two parallel
system installs, upgrade whichever one you're not currently using,
try to boot _that one_ after the upgrade finishes,
and fall back to the last-known-good install
if either the upgrade fails in the middle or the boot into
the preferred install fails. IIRC, there's something like this
available with Yocto; and, if I understand it correctly,
NixOS also does something similar in spirit to this
(though perhaps with a different granularity).

Are there any provisions for doing something like that
with OpenWRT?