[OpenWrt-Devel] SDK vs. Toolchain+

Daniel Dickinson openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com
Wed Jan 6 11:52:29 EST 2016

Hi,

On 06/01/16 05:24 AM, Bastian Bittorf wrote:
 > * Daniel Dickinson <openwrt at daniel.thecshore.com> [06.01.2016 11:11]:
 >> Not sure where you got those numbers.  Did you also post the exact
 >> hardware and software configuration, and testing methodology, and how
 >> you did the timing and what numbers 140 is (real command to done
 >
 > check this thread:

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-December/037775.html

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-December/037856.html

Obviously your idea of cheap, fast hardware is based on the assumption
that one is working on OpenWrt for pay rather than hobby. You're talking
about at least $1200-1600 CAD which is a lot of money these parts, for
the type of hardware you're talking about.

When I did have a job that involved work on openwrt (which I'm not
entirely sure was worth it, for all that I got a couple gigs it wasn't
with open source-minded companies and for that and other reasons was
more frustrating than rewarding, for the most part, given that for
openwrt was something of personal interest and I found the proprietary
business interested tainted it for me, they say never mix business with
pleasure, and for good reason).  I did buy better hardware, but that is
now only decent, not the class of hardware you're talking about in your
email (and while good, wasn't real server class, ever). At the moment
OpenWrt is a hobby for me, so shelling out that kind of money, and
finding a place for such hardware, isn't an option.

You're numbers are pretty bogus for the typical openwrt community
member, although they ought to be importance to those who can justify
that kind of investment as a business expense.

So the work on improving build speed, based on Felix's suggestion is
still definitely something I think is worthwhile for the kind of
situation I am interested in.

Regards,

Daniel