[OpenWrt-Devel] periodic task checking for usb flash media?

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Tue Sep 29 08:51:11 EDT 2015

Karl Palsson <karlp at tweak.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a custom board with an onboard USB flash media
> interface. It works well, I can mount and access micro SD cards
> nicely, and all that basic stuff.
>
> However, card detection doesn't work. The USB flash interface
> is Mass Storage Bulk Only, and on my desktop linux system,
> there's a period task polling the device every two seconds,
> sending SCSI "TEST UNIT READY" and "REQUEST SENSE" commands,
> and this happily detects card insertions/removals, (after the
> next poll)
>
> On openwrt, this doesn't happen. With usbmon I don't see any
> periodic traffic. Calling "block info" manually reliably detect
> any changes and gets new device nodes created, that works just
> fine, but do I really need to call that periodically myself?
>
> Is this how it's meant to be? Am I missing some important
> package or config? I'm not asking about automounting, there's
> plenty of wiki help and options for that, but how do I get the
> card to be detected at all?

fwiw, originally, the values of the kernel block checking task
were:

# cat /sys/block/sda/events_poll_msecs
- -1
# cat /sys/module/block/parameters/events_dfl_poll_msecs
0

And changing them to 2000 had no effect at all.
https://github.com/surkovalex/openpctv/blob/master/packages/systemd/patches/Set-default-polling-interval-on-removable-devices-as.patch
and others imply that those settings have no impact when the
block module is compiled in, as appears to be the case on
OpenWrt. So I've added a new patch that changes the default to
2000, but I still get no events of any sort when a card is
plugged in or removed.

Still, running "block info" will happily rescan and create/delete
the /dev/sda1 node.

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson