[OpenWrt-Devel] Removing Telnet

Michael Heimpold mhei at heimpold.de
Tue Sep 8 15:31:21 EDT 2015

Am Dienstag, 8. September 2015, 10:15:52 schrieb Steven Barth:
> Hello everyone,
>
> as of https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/46809 telnet is no longer part of
> the base images. As a replacement, it is now possible to login to the root-
> account via SSH without a password prompt whenever no root password is set,
> e.g. after a flash without keeping config, factory reset or in failsafe.
>
> We will see how that goes. Let us know if there are any issues.

just for the record, at my last employer, we developed various custom
OpenWrt based embedded devices. During manufacturing process, we
had a stage where the final device was equipped with serial numbers,
mac addresses and so on - we called this stage 'device baptism'.
So was done by logging into the device via telnet, because this was
fast and available nearly immediately after reboot (and because the
somewhat old-fashion production toolsuite only supports telnet, but
not SSH).

I also remember that "long time ago" there were issues because of
not enough entropy available on embedded devices.
Is this still an issue? Should only delay the time when logging in is
possible, right?

So...I'll dry my tears and then go with it :-)

Regards,
Michael