[OpenWrt-Devel] New Ubiquiti AC products locked against 3rd party firmware?

John Crispin blogic at openwrt.org
Mon Nov 30 03:48:49 EST 2015

On 30/11/2015 09:38, Petr Štetiar wrote:
> Ben West <ben at gowasabi.net> [2015-11-27 10:00:51]:
>
> Hi,
>
>> This person is reporting a new Ubiquiti AC AP where there the bootloader
>> does an RSA signature check on the firmware image.
>
> let's hope, that it would be possible to replace/patch that unfriendly U-Boot.
>
>> Could anyone else confirm if they've observed the same, and if it now
>> prevents loading OpenWRT, etc?  Or at least, confirm if the RSA signature
>> checking by the bootloader was not present before?
>
> We're using UBNT products and I can confirm, that there wasn't any RSA
> firmware signature checking previously and we're able to run OpenWRT on them.
> Maybe it's time to look around for alternatives...
>
> -- ynezz

Hi,

i contacted UBNT customer support. they specifically stated that they do
not want users to install openwrt and prefer not to cooperate with us.
it is a concious decision to *not* support the free software movement
and be capitalist pigs. the reasoning given to me was not related to FCC
ruling but specifically stated that they dont like users installing free
software on their routers. they prefer to have submissive users that
will do as they are told.

	John