[OpenWrt-Devel] ar71xx: How to integrate UniFi AP Outdoor Plus HSR?

Kirill Berezin kyb22 at rol.ru
Thu May 28 09:25:34 EDT 2015

Hi, Stefan

On 05/27/2015 11:48 PM, Stefan Rompf wrote:

> Integration into the kernel driver like your latest patch does.
>
> Caveat: The build process seems to assume that all routers in the
> ar71xx/generic target share the same set of kernel modules. So patching and
> compiling yourself is no problem, but a working image on downloads.openwrt.org
> is not feasible as every router would get the HSR driver. Correct me if I am
> wrong.

This is not a problem because it is possible to use full platform name,
which includes a profile name, as a dependency.

The ubiquity driver checks some flags before enabling hsr, but I can't
still track down where they store them. May be somewhere in eeprom.

> Or making ath9k expose the gpio and driving from user space. A generic patch
> for ath9k to register its gpio pins via the standard gpio subsystem. This
> should go upstream to the kernel and may prove usable for other access points
> to.
>
> An Unifi specific user space daemon listens to scan and channel change events
> via netlink (will check next weekend if channel change is broadcasted
> reliably) and tune the filter via sysfs interface accordingly like hsr.c
> tried.

I like this idea because in this case  it'll be much easier to correct
problems or add changes.

However for more general use a patch to the driver is much better.

> PS: I've started working on the wiki page
> http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/ubiquiti/unifi_outdoorplus that I hope to move to
> "supported" soon ;-)

I have a couple photos of pcb (one with annotated serial port), can send
them if you need.

Kirill.