[OpenWrt-Devel] Link detection - TP-Link Archer C7 v2

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Wed May 27 15:57:24 EDT 2015

Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:

> So, just to realize that you probably want active DNA[1] anyway, as even
> on a device that has directly connected ports, plugging in a dumb switch
> will give you link, yet there is really nothing beyond it.
>
> [1]- https://tools.ietf.org/wg/dna/
> Detecting Network Attachment

As a dumb user, I _expect_ to get a link light when I have "dumb" switch
connected, though I'm sure fancy network admins might like DNA.  What I
don't see any purpose in [1] is getting told I have link just because
the non-removable "cable" (pcb traces) between two parts of the board
inside my "dumb" box is in place.

While I appreciate the design that makes this not working already, when
there _is_ a fixed port, I _do_ expect this to work.

Sincerely,
Karl Palsson

[1] I'm sure it's very useful for the hw eng bringing up the board mind you :)