[OpenWrt-Devel] WAN dhcp client doesnt recognize unplugged cable and doesnt request new IP on replugged

Karl Palsson karlp at tweak.net.au
Sat May 16 08:58:07 EDT 2015

Hans Dedecker <dedeckeh at gmail.com> wrote:
> netifd enables by default force_link for interface with as proto
> static; are you referring to such an interface ?
> I'm not a big fan of enabling force_link by default as I already
> discussed this behavior on the OpenWRT Devel mailing list
> (https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-August/027166.html).
> So I share your pain but it seems OpenWRT users expect an IP address
> to be present even when the link is down in case of a static protocol.
> If in your case force_link is enabled by default config for a non
> static interface I would be surprised and indeed consider this as an
> issue.

It's probably because my custom init reconfigures things at first boot,
as it could be contained in a package rather than having to maintain
patches on openwrt core.  What sort of bugs is felix referring to?
Surely most of them would/could be addressed in whatever software was
behaving badly?

Further, if netifd is the one adding force_link, then surely it should
be removing it when you change to dhcp, not just leaving there like a
land mine

Cheers,
Karl P