[OpenWrt-Devel] Alfa Hornet-UB no longer supports OpenWrt?

Joshua Judson Rosen jrosen at harvestai.com
Thu Mar 26 22:48:39 EDT 2015

I've been buying batches of Hornet-UB based routers with OpenWrt preinstalled
from data-alliance.net for a while now; today I got a message from them that
they were unable to install the OpenWrt image they'd been using on any
of the Hornet-UB boards in the latest batch they received from Alfa.

From my initial discussion with them, it sounds like they were able to
TFTP the image and write it to flash, but it didn't boot as expected
after the "reset" command was issued in U-Boot. So we're trying to figure
out what's going wrong right now; did Alfa make some change to the hardware
in `recent' history ("recent" being a relative term--bearing in mind that
sometimes it can take years to run through old stock, depending on how
many old units exist and the rate at which they get sold...)? Something
like...:

	- different flash layout?

	- different components?

	- something else?

Anything that would prevent the early Attitude Adjustment (pre-release)
builds from booting on the newer Hornet-UB boards? And if there has been
some sort of change, do newer builds of OpenWrt work on these boards?

I notice that there are actually two "hornet-ub" images for download
these days--one of which is for "hornet-ub-x2"? What is that?
There's no mention of it on in the wiki AFAICT, and I'm having
trouble finding useful pages with that name on it elsewhere
on the web....