[OpenWrt-Devel] Multiple OpenWrt devices collectively managed?

valent.turkovic at gmail.com valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 07:14:44 EDT 2015

On 22 March 2015 at 10:01, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM, valent.turkovic at gmail.com
> <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 21 March 2015 at 15:49, Janne Cederberg <janne.cederberg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Greetings all!
>> > Been searching around and found for example OpenWISP but thought I'd
>> > ask the list as well: is there some opensource management software for
>> > OpenWrt that could control a set of multiple OpenWrt AP's on the same
>> > SSID; so basically controlling their channels based on channel use and
>> > actively avoiding crowded/DOS'sed channels for example?
>> >
>> > Best regards, Janne Cederberg
>>
>> Hi Janne,
>> what you are asking for is quite custom piece of software so there is
>> not any open source project with functionality that you ask for.
>>
>> But it is not too difficult to build something like that, try building
>> it yourself and share it with others, or hire somebody to do it for
>> you.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Valent.
>

> Thats actually not true, there are numerous implementations of dashboard
> management solution for openwrt based routers running mesh, Ive been running
> a dashboard
> for well over 6 years now on a large scale wireless deployment.
>
> just research openwrt wireless mesh dashboard

Please give some examples because I'm also really interested in any if
they exist.

I know of Nodewatcher [1], which is actively developed, and soon will
have V3.0 release which will be easily deployable by anybody to create
community mesh network, but currently it is missing lots of UI
elements.

I also found out that there is Afrimesh [2], but last commit was in
2011 so it looks like a dead project :( If anybody has used is please
share your experience.

There are quite a few commercial dashboards like Open-Mesh [3] but you
also need to buy their hardware AFAIK...

So if there are other dashboard projects that are usable please share them.

[1] https://dev.wlan-si.net/wiki/Nodewatcher
[2] https://code.google.com/p/afrimesh/
[3] http://www.open-mesh.com/