[OpenWrt-Devel] "UCI overlay" proposal

Zefir Kurtisi zefir.kurtisi at neratec.com
Tue Mar 10 05:56:03 EDT 2015

David,

I do not disagree, and in fact I was not proposing a new configuration format.

What I tried to point out was
a) maintaining a 'meta-configuration' for some config overlay very quickly becomes
very challenging and resource consuming
b) if the format has to be changed, in OpenWRT JSON should be the obvious choice
from a pragmatic point: most of the configuration today already is converted to
JSON at runtime to be passed to the various ubus services.

As for the inherent problem of standardizing a continuously changing
configuration, that's what I described as the 'heaviest part'. Considering that
there are snmp MIBs released decades ago and (with gradual extensions) still used
today, difficult but doable.

Anyway, uci is not bad as is generally and does not need a replacement. We have
our JSON config overlay and it is doing ok. Alas, it would be a waste of resources
if multiple parties were cooking their proprietary overlay system when everybody
is trying to reach similar goals.