[OpenWrt-Devel] Regarding bridge multicast-to-unicast patch

Steven Barth cyrus at openwrt.org
Wed Jun 3 13:25:32 EDT 2015

>Steven, could you elaborate a little more on the scenario and
>explain why it is a must to shut up automatically when having a
>local user-space querier? If people are able to manually install and
>configure a complex multicast router, aren't they capable of
>manually disabling the bridge querier, too (there's even a netifd
>option for that)?

I'm not thinking about complex router setups but instead about simple SSM capable proxies (i.e. mcproxy and the like). I think thats a valid point and don't see why v6 behaves rather awkwardly compared to v4 which simply goes silent. If i run a userspace querier the kernel should shut up otherwise the userspace querier might get utterly confused since its suddenly competing against "itself" in the election.

I mean the kernel can still do the mc-> uc translation but simply let userspace do the querying. Though i guess if all else fails we need to do this manually using /proc writes in the init script hmmm...