[OpenWrt-Devel] uboot-lantiq cgu settings for ramboot image

Daniel Schwierzeck daniel.schwierzeck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 08:57:54 EST 2015

Hi Ben,

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build uboot-lantiq for the BT Home Hub 3A (lantiq
> ar9), and am wondering where to initialise the cgu, in the case
> of a ramboot image for uart booting. Normally the cgu is initialised
> in lowlevel_init, but that code is bypassed in ramboot images. The
> result is that the board boots with the wrong cgu settings, which
> sends the console haywire. So far I have tried two solutions:
>
> - putting the following lines in board_early_init_f:
>
>   #define REG32(addr) *((volatile u32 *)(addr))
>         REG32(0xbf103010) = 0x80;
>         REG32(0xbf103014) = 0x01;
>
>   This fixes the console, but breaks ethernet. I am wondering
>   whether this is because by putting this code in this place, I
>   am altering the cgu settings after setting up ram. Is this
>   admissible?

it is insufficient if you want to change the DDR clock after the
memory is already initialized. For that you will need a sequence like
putting memory in self-refresh mode, stopping memory controller,
update clocks, restart memory controller, putting memory out of
self-refresh. That's why the cgu_init() runs before mc_init(). Thus if
the board comes up with 111/111 MHz, you cannot switch to 393/166 MHz
because that would require to change the DDR clock.

> - adding the same two register settings to the start of the
>   ddr_settings file generated by lantiq_ram_init_uart.awk .
>   However, the resulting image gives a download error and won't
>   boot at all.

Actually this should work. Did you put the CGU register settings
before the memory controller settings?

--
- Daniel