[OpenWrt-Devel] Is Linksys/Belkin lying (again) about being open source (WRT1200AC router) ?

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Jan 16 06:45:53 EST 2015

Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not entirely sure of the status of WRT1200AC, but if there is
> nothing here in OpenWRT and nothing else much can be found on the web
> they are once again lying. They are publishing intentions as if it was
> something that was already done and consolidated, ready for any buyer
> to enjoy. If there is something going on between them and OpenWRT we
> are not aware, at least not via this list.

You should probably take a closer look at these two emails. Preferably
in your own list archive if you have one, as the pipermail archive is
missing some of the more interesting details.  Like who Marvell chose to
CC the driver announcement to, and which email address they used....

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-December/030229.html
https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2015-January/030526.html

I might be reading too much between the lines here, but this looks very
promising to me.

Yes, I also regularily get frustrated with marketing people overselling
features, and selling them before they are ready.  But you should
realize that Belkin is not the only vendor doing that. The really
annoying thing with the "WRTs" is that they oversell a feature we care
so deeply about - opensource support. But I believe we should appreciate
the fact that the marketing people find this feature interesting, and do
our best to keep it that way.  And just realize that overselling is part
of the game.

In any case, we are much better off if this list is used for technical
discussions instead of vendor bashing.

Bjørn (with absolutely no shares in neither Belkin, Marvell nor OpenWRT)